Rattlers Lose Match and Key Player

The SAIT Trojans headed south to the Snake Pit to take on the Medicine Hat College Rattlers. A battle of 6 and 4 teams, the match looked to be an even offensive affair. The Game opened with two aces from Rattler Keandre Evans. SAIT answered right back with a kill of their own. Teams looked sharp early with kills coming quickly from both sides. A scramble from the Trojans, and a block from Rattler Alfred Dalevik and the Medicine Hat side found themselves up 3. This margin continued as the score slowly crept up with both teams trading side-outs. Continuing their strong offensive play, the Rattlers held their small lead. With Medicine Hat ahead 15-12, the Trojans needed something to happen fast. Unfortunately for SAIT, another quick Rattler point saw the lead increase to 4 and the SAIT squad taking a timeout. This timeout energized the Trojan side as they were able to stop the bleeding and chip into the lead. Another Rattler charge again lead by Dalevik saw the home squad move 5 points into the lead. This had the Trojans scrambling and taking another timeout. This timeout again stopped the momentum and saw SAIT close the gap. This was too little too late however as the Rattlers Cruised to a first set victory 25-19. SAIT needed to tidy up mistakes and unforced errors in the second set to stay with the Rattler offence.

The second set saw another strong start from the Rattler offence jumping out to a 3-1 lead. SAIT answered right back tying the set. Teams traded serves and Kills with no clear advantage being won. The teams continued with this trend. Sloppy attack from both sides saw a few long rallies with bodies flying across the floor. A lead change appeared with a 3 point run from SAIT taking a 13-11 lead. This lead was short lived as the Rattlers came back to tie the match at 15. The Trojans took exception to this comeback attempt scoring 3 straight. Now up 18-15 the Trojans firmly had momentum forcing Medicine Hat to take a timeout. Medicine hat came out of the timeout with ferocity. Scoring 2 straight to get closer. A questionable call against the Rattlers saw the momentum sapped from the home team. Still in the set, The Rattlers tied it at 20. 2 quick Trojan points saw the Rattlers take another timeout. Mounting a comeback attempt, Medicine Hat tied the set at 23. This saw the reeling SAIT bench call a much needed timeout. Scoring out of the timeout, the Trojans served for the win. A service error saw the Rattlers tie it back up as the two teams remained close. A second chance for the game was all SAIT needed as they took the second set 26-24.

The third set started with the match down to a best of 3. SAIT started with an early 4-1 run putting the pressure on early. Medicine Hat responded, but were not able to grab a hold of the momentum as the Trojans maintained their three point advantage. This continued as teams traded side-outs. Medicine Hat, hoping for a spark subbed in a new middle hitter to shore up defense at the net. This did little to nothing as the Trojans continued to roll extending their lead, 13-7. The Trojans continued their dominance increasing their lead to 10. 18-8 saw the Rattlers looking dejected but refusing to quit. A Party ball destroyed by Keandre Evans seemed to breathe some life back into the silent crowd. The Trojans immediately silenced them again with a fast kill. The complete dominance of the set came from SAIT. Controlling every facet of the game the cruised to an easy victory decidedly winning 25-13. 

The fourth set started with teams trading side-outs. A long rally had no deciding factor on momentum as the teams remained even early in the set. SAIT held a small advantage of 2 with an ace on the serve. They added to their lead on a Rattlers attacking error. Now a 3 point advantage, the Trojans held a 10-7 lead. With a big block, the Rattlers tried to start chipping away at the lead. Closing the gap to one, The Rattlers served to tie the set. The Trojan offence said no way and came up with a big kill to maintain their lead. The Rattlers again mounted a comeback attempt serving to tie the set at 16. A SAIT attacking error opened the door for the Medicine Hat side to tie the set. Trading side-outs, the teams inched closer to 25. Quick concise attacks from both teams saw play quicken. The Rattlers first lead of the set came at 19 and a price. Rattler Keandre Evans had a freak accident rolling his ankle while walking in after a serve. The Rattlers Most explosive weapon was out of the game. This injury seemed to take the breath out of the gym. The Rattlers stayed right with the Trojans with the game again tied at 22. Another SAIT point off a long rally saw the Rattlers take their second timeout. SAIT scored again giving themselves a match point. A Block for SAIT ended the set 25-22and the Match 3-1